Sunday, March 8, 2009

Stop the pink fest....

Okay I will warn you now readers....this may hit a nerve for a few of you and may even piss you off but I write what I feel.
Lately I've been getting a few requests to be part of some sort of fundraiser/walk/cryfest for breast cancer. I want no part of it!!!
Let me begin by saying NO ONE deserves to go through the pain, suffering, anxiety, fright, etc, of cancer or other diseases. My feelings in no way minimize what those people are going through, nor does it mean that those who participate in these fundraisers/walks are wasting their time...but............
Do you really think that by taking a walk for a few miles and wearing pink is going to all of a sudden "beat" the cancer?????? That your $1000 or whatever amount donation is going to all off a sudden motivate scientists to "find" the cure????
Let's start there...
Do you really think we don't have a "cure" for cancer?? Of all the brilliant minds in the last, oh say 25 yrs, no one has found anything to deal with this issue? Think about it people....think of the trillions, not millions, but trillions, that the United States would lose if there was to be a "cure". The million dollar machines, scanners, speciality clinics, doctors, and please let us not forget the pharmaceuticals. These would all be gone...along with the profits.

This whole "together we can find a cure"....really?? Let's me use a metaphor that may seem silly but let's go for it....
We are all over at someones home. Suddenly I realize that I lost my keys....hmmm....let me look on the couch that I am sitting on...nope don't see it....a friend comes by, "hey, what is the matter.....oh I lost my keys....gee, let me help you look for them" So now we are both looking on the couch. After a few minutes go by...a few more friends come over...."what's the matter?....oh we are looking for some keys........we'll all help....." Now I have twenty people looking for my keys on the couch. Yet no luck.....ALL OF A SUDDEN....some brilliant voice says..."hey, maybe you lost it somewhere else...maybe the keys are not on the couch....." So we all look elsewhere and in five minutes we find the keys in a different room, and no where near the couch.

Okay so did that make sense??? I guess my point is, if for the last 25 plus years, we are donating money to research drugs for a cure for cancer, perhaps we should be doing the research somewhere else?? Perhaps the answer is not a pharmaceutical??? Perhaps the answer is in a different room and not on the couch. All that money you raised is just bringing more people to look at the couch.

This is not to say that pharmaceuticals/surgeries/chemotherapy's don't have a place in our conventional way of thinking towards cancer, but perhaps if their is still no "cure" even when we have these "great" things, perhaps we should look at more unconventional ways??
Did you know that when a cancer or "sick" cell is exposed to full oxygen, it either reverts back to a healthy cell or the cancer disappears???? How come we never hear about that?? How come that money can't go to oxygen research??

If a group of people want to get together and go for a walk and wear pink boa's, well, go ahead...have a blast....but please please please....don't be under the notion that you are making a difference....because you aren't. You are supporting yourself, a family member, a friend etc....but you are not changing the outlook of the disease.
This is the same for the whole "wear red", and now we have made a difference for women and cardiovascular health....really?? I wear red all the time...I don't think anything has changed.

So please don't bother writing me on how I am heartless...or a bitch or whatever...instead...write to the Susan Komen association or another one of those types and find out where your money is really going...

No comments: